Maintaining Your Roof
Tips to maximize the lifespan of a thatched roof:
- Every thatched house owner should have a maintenance schedule / contract with their Thatcher to keep on top of minor repairs.
- On average the roof should be blue-stoned once a year.
- Consider covering the ridge in chicken wire to prevent birds from gathering the thatch for nesting materials.
- Roof hips that are exposed to the wind can also be meshed to prevent wind damage.
- Always cut back overhanging trees and clean moss and likens off the coat.
- Never let anyone walk on your thatched roof (except a thatcher)
- Do not light garden fires or BBQ’s near a thatched roof.
Over hanging branches can damage a thatched roof, also when the leave fall onto the thatch they decompose causing the roof to rot. Moss may grow on the thatch due to the tree / branches blocking out the sunlight.
Tree Damage to Thatched Roof
Vegetation growth on thatch
Damaged Thatch caused by trees